JUST IN: Buhari ignores Senate, asks Keyamo to proceed with 774,000 jobs recruitment

Share on Social media

By Shola Abayomi.

President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday gave directive to the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, to proceed with 774,000 jobs recruitment processes, despite objections by the Senate.

The National Assembly, in a statement jointly signed by the Chairman Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Ajibola Basiru and his House of Representatives counterpart, Benjamin Kalu, had earlier had a public disagreement with the labour ministry over the modalities for appointment of the 20-member state Selection Committee for the programme.

The lawmakers had insisted that the implementation of the programme must be put on hold until its modalities are explained.

However, while speaking with The Nation newspapers, Mr Keyamo said the president has given him the ahead to proceed with the process, saying that the states’ selection committees are already proceeding with the programme.

He said: “I have instructions from Mr. President to proceed. The states selection committees are proceeding already with the programme. Nothing stopped them before.

“National Directorate of Employment (NDE) is part of the programme. The state coordinators of the NDE throughout the country are the secretaries of those committees.

“We will work hard to meet the timeline but if there is any need for a change we will inform Mr. President.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *