By Umar Salam.
Over sixty persons were gunned down on Saturday by gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram insurgents at a grave yard in Badu village, Nganzai Local Government Area of Borno State.
According to reports, the assailants who had recently attacked Badu village but were strongly resisted by the villagers, came on a reprisal mission, killing over sixty persons and injuring 11 others.
Narrating the incident, the Chairman of Nganzai Local Government Council, Muhammad Bulama, who spoke to reporters yesterday, said the insurgents recently attacked the Badu community but were repelled by villagers and members of the local vigilante group, who killed 11 of the insurgents in the process.
“The villagers resisted the attack, killed 11 insurgents and recovered 10 AK-47 rifles in the encounter.
“On Saturday at about 11:40 a.m., the insurgents came on a reprisal mission, attacked mourners at a grave yard, killed over 60 persons and injuring 11 others,” he said.
Reacting to the incident, President Muhammadu Buhari, on Sunday, condemned the attack while stating that the insurgents who perpetrated the killings would pay a big price for their action.
Buhari, in a statement by his media aide, Garba Shehu, reiterated that the Federal Government is firmly committed to taking necessary measures to safeguard the country’s security, adding that air patrols by the Air Force and ground operations by the army had been initiated to hunt the attackers.