By Shola Abayomi.
Today’s proceedings of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal in Abuja was halted after the counsel to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate in the February 23, presidential election, Atiku Abubakar, informed the tribunal that the second batch of witnesses scheduled to testify today had been attacked by gunmen on their way to Abuja from Zamfara State.
The lead counsel to the PDP and Atiku Abubakar, Livy Uzoukwu (SAN), confirmed the news during today’s proceedings.
He said, “I was the one that was called on the phone. I kept having the repeated calls and had to go out to answer.
“I was told that while the witnesses were on their way from Zamfara State, they were attacked by armed men.
“Some of them jumped into the bush and some of them were gravely injured.
“Up till now, they are still looking for some of them in the bush.”
Uzoukwu, prayed for an adjournment till Monday.
Eight witnesses had earlier testified on behalf of the PDP and Atiku Abubakar today, totaling 36 witnesses presented so far by the petitioners.
The counsels to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Yunus Usman (SAN); President Muhammadu Buhari, Yusuf Ali (SAN); and the All Progressives Congress (APC), Latef Fagbemi (SAN), did not oppose the request for adjournment.